Cookie Cutter Projects for the holidays - bake, craft and wrap

Thursday, December 7, 2017



Eating cookies and baking cookies are two of my favourite Christmas traditions. I had a few custom cookie cutters made to match the Sweet Life Collection that I designed for Creative Bag. The metal cookie cutters are great for baking, crafting and gift wrapping projects.

Mary from Emma's Sweets made the most adorable custom cookies using the cookie cutters so I could feature them in a holiday themed styled shoot. She decorated the cookies two ways - in full colour and in white with gold details. The white and gold cookies were so unique and inspired me to create my oven baked clay ornaments.


And as you know I love to add special touches to my gift wrapping so the cookie cutters made their way into my holiday gift wrapping as gift toppers.


My oven baked clay ornaments can also be used as gift toppers. 



Here's how I created my oven baked cookie ornaments:




Gather your supplies: oven baked clay, cookie cutters, rolling pin, wire, wire cutters, bamboo skewer, paint, paint brush, twine. You'll also need a baking sheet, parchment paper and oven to bake the clay.

1. Soften clay and roll out oven baked clay just as you would regular cookie dough.
2. Cut the cookie shapes and set aside.
3. Wire loops will be used to hang the ornaments. Cut pieces of wire and bend as shown above. 
4. Using the bamboo skewer, make a hole in the top of the clay shapes and insert the wire loop.
5. Place the clay shapes on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake as per the instructions on the oven baked clay package.



6. Paint the ornaments with as much or little colour as you want. I gave my ornaments a contemporary look by just adding a few gold details. I used my cookie pattern as a guide. 
7. Add twine, baker's twine, yarn or leather string to hang. 

Note: If you don't want to use wire loops to hang the ornaments, add a small hole in the clay before baking using the bamboo skewer.

Sources for custom cookie cutters: owl, deer, squirrelbird, fox.



Wishing you a sweet holiday season and I hope that there are lots of cookies!




No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!